Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Attacks on the U.S.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Attacks on the U.S.
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:44:52 +1000
>After today's events, I will NEVER again complain and grumble about
>airport security, and I hope we nuke the hell out of Afganastan, where I'm
>sure this whole operation was concocted, and incinerate every last one of
>those towel-headed religious fanatics.
>
>A really pissed off Walt Wayman

That's a neat thought Walt - they're having such a lousy time already that
a bit more won't matter and it may make you feel better. I just spent the
day trying to explain to my students, even the 'towel-headed' ones, in as
detached a manner as possible. Many were badly shaken, despite the
distance, because they were reminded just how vulnerable we all are to
extremism.
Don't forget that the people who did this firmly believe that it was
justified, that Americans are their oppressors and that it is they that are
exacting revenge. Some are celebrating because for them, it is a military
victory. (NO - I don't share this view but I attempt to understand).
We withdrew Afghan, Palestinian and American students from class today for
a kind of group counselling - some of the visibly Muslim students were
already subject to taunts - ironically in one case from a group of Serbs.
Stories of bombings in Kabul were exaggerated by people who have no
conception of the 'normal' situation there. The way we feel today is, for
some, a way of life.
My condolences - I hope none on this list were touched directly.
AndrewF