RE: [OM] [OT] Western Canada

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Western Canada
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:07:02 -0600
 One more place that's well worth the detour is Writing-On-Stone provincial
park; take the 3 east from Fort McLeod, past Lethbridge, to Milk River, and
then into the park. It's pretty near the US border, and a few hours from
Calgary, but I've not seen anything quite like it before. (Drumheller is
similar, but more arid; that's not as far south, so might be less
inconvenient to get to).

 It's an _amazing_ experience driving through the prairies and suddenly a
river valley filled with stunning rock formations just appears in front of
you -- you literally can't see it until you're right on top of it. Photos at
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/index.php?pageType=folder&currDir=./Pa
noramas

 If you have the time, stop off somewhere in Kanaskis Country (the
aforementioned highway 68) and hike up one of the trails -- that's where the
really impressive views are. (go up Prarie View, for instance, or to the top
of Moose Mountain, or, well, lots of places. One of these days I've got to
work out a way to get a camera up there in one piece when mountain-biking!)

 -- dan