RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:03:37 +0100
<snip>
If anybody wants to take me to task or cuss me out, I'm thick-skinned enough
to take it, and give as good as I get, but let's do it off list.  Just don't
expect a quick reply.  I have packed a Beretta 92, a CZ-75, a Glock 23 and
500 rounds of 9mm ammo in my range bag, and I'm going to the range to kill
some paper targets.  I'll use my imagination for who they may represent.
</snip>

Walt,

Here in the UK I too used to enjoy firing off a few rounds at paper targets.
I have never shot at anything other than a paper target, I hasten to add,
but it was a very enjoyable sport for me.  Sadly, this is no longer an
option with anything but the smallest of target rifles in the UK.

The reason ?  Some A**hole took a selection of firearms, for which he had a
license, and shot a bunch of kids.  I am not condoning his actions - if he
had not killed himself I would have happily seen the death penalty
re-introduced especially for him, but the "knee-jerk" reaction of our
government to the issue (ban all firearms) has solved nothing and caused
more problems.  People are still killed and injured by people with firearms.
The people warped enough to carry out such acts are not likely to apply for
a license anyway, and "unlicensed" firearms are as readily available as
ever.

If our government had applied a fraction of the money it poured into banning
firearms (compensation payments, redundancy payments to name but a small
portion) into actually policing the issueing of licenses as was supposed to
happen, then this maniac would never have "legitimately" acquired his
weapons.

Walt, I know this is a very different scenario from the one we are all
currently facing together, and I wouldn't even try to compare the losses or
the perpetrators, but I hope you can see the parallel I am trying to draw
here.  Knee-jerk reactions of any sort only make matters worse, IMHO.

Anyway, I'll probably get flamed by UK list members now for my opinions on
the above issues !  Hopefully we can all live with our divergence of
opinions, and more importantly not be closed of to others differing
opinions.  We don't have to agree with their opinions, just consider them
and see what we can learn from them (even if it's that they are wrong !)

Right, rant over.  Back to OM stuff next time I promise.

Jon

PS: Have just heard newscasters here going on about the number of British
among the dead.  Makes me sick.  The victims of this are not British or
American or whatever.  They are human.  This tragedy crosses national
boundaries, and already the press are trying to divide us all.