Re: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:31:28 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 3:08 PM

> Pardon me... what we 'perceive as crimes'... ????
>
> I suppose the holocaust was just a figment of the western world's
collective
> mentality???

I mean it in the sense that obviously, some people do not perceive the
tragedies of yesterday as crimes. The scenes of many Arab peoples
celebrating in the streets indicates that many people perceive this attack
as being justified. The reasons that they see this is justified is because
they perceive themselves as being victims of various crimes from the US. The
US (and the majority of the rest of the western world) does not share this
opinion and most consider that the US's actions against Arab countries were
justified.

My point is that there are different perceptions. We (and I include myself
in this) consider the attack yesterday to be a terrible crime. Other people
do not share this point of view.

My point in all of this is that we were all outraged by scenes of Arabs
celebrating the misfortune of the US. I just hope that we remember that when
the US retaliates (and they will) that we will create the same feeling of
outrage if we celebrate someone else's misfortune.

If an Arab country is responsible and is attacked by the US and we are seen
celebrating this then we will only increase the gulf between the western
world and the islamic world which will only result in further suffering on
both sides.

----
Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx