RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Terrorism thoughts
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:21:45 +1000
>Even though analogies have been drawn to Pearl Harbor,
>that was a carefully crafted attack against a MILITARY target.  This was a
>shameful, ruthless, and cowardly act of terrorist aggression aimed at
>innumerable INNOCENT civilians.  If there is 'collateral damage' that
>includes civilians in our effort to exact justice, it will be unfortunate.
>When I see what may wind up being some of the casualties of that collateral
>damage dancing in the streets, singing, waving flags, and exhibiting
>outright joy at the events of yesterday, it tempers quite completely my
>inhibitions against extracting said justice.
>Jim

In the world that these people come from - there are no civilians. Everyone
is on the front line. The centre of the financial district was a legitimate
target in their thinking and the people who worked there complicit in their
plight. Walk a mile in their shoes - a hard thing to do this week.
Comment from a Serbian student of mine today - "Now the Americans know what
it feels like." Her sympathy for you is also tempered. (She had no love for
Milosevic et al but loves her country). I had no answer.
AndrewF