Re: [OM] Re: America: The good Neighbor

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: America: The good Neighbor
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 20:17:02 +1000
Tris contributed -

>       America: The Good Neighbor.
>When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries
>in to help. This
>spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

Er, did you need help? We (Australia) sent bushfire crews last year when
there was a need but usually you are wealthy and organised enough to do it
yourself.

>The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
>discouraged
>countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the
>decadent, warmongering
>Americans.

There were enormous economic and political benefits for the US in this - it
really pissed off the USSR and led to the Berlin crisis. The money built an
economically strong Western Europe as a bulwark against the east. My
parents in Britain were always somewhat pissed off that Germany got more
than Britain out of the deal. Now specify the newspaper articles involved.

>I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the
>erosion of the
>United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the
>world
>have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the
>Douglas
>DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines
>except
>Russia fly American Planes?

Which countries are gloating? Most other currencies, including ours are
doing badly against the USD and have been for some time. Oh, Airbus?

>Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the
>moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about
>German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American
>technocracy
>and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely
>home again.

Your point being? That was somehow more valuable? How?

>You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
>window for
>everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.
>They
>are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking
>Canadian laws,
>are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

Plenty of scandals on the front pages of other nations (the Brits are
rather good at it!) How does the fact that US draft dodgers were not
persecuted in Canada reflect well on the US? Doesn't make sense.

>When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age,
>it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the
>New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still
>broke.

Again, did you need help. And, weren't they private companies? If you
privatise public utilities and they go broke, then that's free enterprise.
We're just working out that dubious benefit of economic rationalism.
Fortunately, most of our public assets have been purchased by benevolent US
companies who are enjoying the advantages of our strangely depressed
currency. How very kind.

>I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other
>people in
>trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the
>Americans
>in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San
>Francisco earthquake.

OK, name them. All 5000!
The Russians offered two planes medical supplies and blood two days ago.
There are are lots of examples but, usually you don't need help beyond
moral support.

>Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired
>of hearing
>them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag
>high. And when
>they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are
>gloating over their present
>troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."
>
>"Stand proud, America!"

Pride is dangerous. Sycophants are not your friends - ever. This is the
largest heap of innaccurate and poorly reasoned junk I've seen in a long
time. Beware of people who do this sort of thing, especially this badly.
They want something.
Oh, and if you need help, just ask!
AndrewF