Re: [OM] Scanning trouble

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning trouble
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:57:26 -0600
At 09:10 AM 9/13/01 -0700, Charlie Loeven wrote:

[snip]

I thought that a good way to make a transition from the understandable slew
of posts pertaining to the terror attacks would be to post a nice photo of
the WTC from about 2 years ago.
The problem is that the WTC had these steel upright supports and windows in
between them.  When I scan the print on a flatbed scanner the image morays.

I think you mean "moiré".  Yes, it's a problem, although most modern scanning software (starting, IIRC, with Ofoto back in the early 1990s) has ways of reducing or eliminating these artifacts.  I know that my Microtek scanner (about six or seven years old) has software that does this automagically.

Try the following: do *several* scans of the image, moving the photo (I'm assuming you have a print and you're using a flatbed scanner) a little bit to the left or right.  Now rotate the photo, thirty or forty-five degrees, and scan again.  One of these scans *may* be better than the others.  As well, check your scanner's software and documentation to see if it has any built-in moiré-reduction capability which needs to be either activated or tweaked.

Finally, check out www.scantips.com.  There may be further hints there.

Good luck!