[OM] Olympus IS-30 question

Subject: [OM] Olympus IS-30 question
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:51:50 -0700
I recently bought a nice-looking Olympus IS-30 "ZLR" which is a fancy
point-and-shoot. Sometimes I just feel like pointing-and-shooting. The
camera has autofocus and a 28-110mm zoom lens, and therein is the problem.

The autofocus doesn't seem to work at longer focal lengths. The camera
motors make noise, but the focus never settles, and the viewfinder stays
fuzzy as the motor runs then stops, I think the camera gives up after a
certain time. Since this is a fully automatic camera it won't even take the
picture if the focus doesn't lock. It looks like the camera does focus when
at short focal length settings, the viewfinder image gets sharper and then
the "AF" stops blinking and the camera beeps and will take the picture with
slightly more pressure on the release.

My questions:

Does anyone know of any possible user-fixable causes for this? I'm not
anxious to tear into this camera, its probably very complex, but if there is
some setting to check or something to clean I'd try it.

Does anyone know how to test and verify if the autofocus is broken, or if
the autofocus is somehow is focal-length setting related?

Thanks,
--
Jim Brokaw