[OM] 3 minutes' silence

Subject: [OM] 3 minutes' silence
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:44:17 +0100
Dear All

You may be interested to know that the 3 minutes' silence was done very effectively in my part of the UK. I was driving through Cambridge (because I had forgotten, sorry) when the announcer on BBC Radio 4 reminded me. I managed to park and sit quietly though.

The radio went silent but for the chimes of Big Ben. If ever chimes sounded like tolling for the lost this was it. We don't normally listen to that many chimes on the radio (we have the timing "pips" except for at 1800 when the full peal of bells is played followed by the 6 chimes) ...

... and the tolling was followed by silence.

Big Ben will not seem the same again.

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>