Re: [OM] [Somewhat OT] Decisions, Decisions!

Subject: Re: [OM] [Somewhat OT] Decisions, Decisions!
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:10:32 -0700
on 9/14/01 3:10 PM, Bill Stanke at bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi gang:
>
> I recently acquired a 40 mm f/2 lens.  No, not the Zuiko!  It's a 40 mm
> f/2 Minolta Rokkor, in the Leica M mount.  This is one of those rare
> occasions when the lens for a Leica costs less than the lens for an
> Olympus!
I recall that the Minolta version lens is about identical to the Leitz
version, at least the shapes of the glass elements...

> Anyway, I had planned to buy a Leica CL to go with this lens, and had
> budgeted the funds to look for one.  Now, the Polaroid scanner is
> available for about the same money - what to do?
I just ordered the Polaroid scanner...
> I could use the lens on my Leica M3, but it triggers the 50 mm
> framelines, so more will be in the picture than I composed.  Also, the
> M3 has no meter, and I was looking forward to a built-in meter.  See the
> fun you miss out on when you use a SLR?
You would probably enjoy the old screw-mount Leica's like my IIIg. They have
a little separate rangefinder and viewfinder windows, and my IIIf doesn't
even have any frame lines, its just a 50mm window.
> We have a "farmer's market" here every Saturday.  People bring in
> produce, kitten and puppies to be adopted, homemade jams and jellies,
> wood-working items, etc.  Great opportunities for candid shots, hence
> the desire for a small inconspicuous camera.
Recommend you consider a Minolta HiMatic 7sII, which is probably a 'poor
man's CL' about the same size, fixed 40mm lens, small and inconspicuous. The
get pretty good money on e*ay for some reason, I think its a cult thing. A
Canon QL17gIII would be another alternative but not quite as small. Both are
reputed to have good lenses and are light, quiet and unobtrusive.
> The Polaroid would also obviously be useful for all of my 35 mm work.  I
> like the fact that it has a SCSI interface, since I would be using it on
> an IBM engineering workstation running Windows NT.  NT (unfortunately)
> does not support USB, so I would be looking at an OS upgrade to use a
> USB-based scanner.  Will they scanner be obsolete junk in two years?
> Will Polaroid be in business if I need support?
The scanner will still work even if Polaroid isn't around. I believe it is
actually made my Microtek, and they are doing OK. SCSI will continue to be
around for a while also, and its probably better than USB for scanners
(Firewire is a different story...). I use a Mac, the new Mac's don't have
SCSI natively, so I'll have to add a SCSI card when I upgrade the computer,
but I still got the SCSI because the 4000dpi Firewire scanners are much much
more expensive than the Polaroid *and* the SCSI card later.
> So, what do you think guys?  Leica or Polaroid?
Leica is like OM, you can never have too many but it takes even more money.
You might consider a Voightlander Bessa T body and finder to use that lens
with. Has a meter, and a rangefinder but no viewfinder if I remember right.

--

Jim Brokaw