Re: [OM] B&W thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W thoughts
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:17:05 -0400
on 9/15/01 9:51 PM, Ken N at image66@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thirdly, I'm going to bug my father to let me use his film
> developer stuff (canisters, spools, beakers, changing bag, etc)
> so I can process my own B&W.  I'm going to land back in the
> world of either Ilford Pan-F or Kodak Plus-X.  My primary desire
> is to get as grainless and high resolving of a film as possible.
> I know I can get that with both of these films.  What are the
> "soup" recommendations that you have for either (or both) of
> these films.  Along with that, I will also need a current "soup"
> recommendation for Tri-X.

I've had good luck with Tri-X in Kodak HC-110.  Smooth and sharp negatives.
I'm like to try Xtol soon...

Currently I'm shooting:
Plus-X - Rodinal 1:50
Tri-X - HC-110 or Rodinal 1:50 (I've tried 1:100 dilution but not more than
once)
TMAX 100 - Tmax developer
TMAX P3200 - Tmax developer

I _LOVE_ Rodinal.  If I could only have one developer that would be it.  But
I also love the way it looks and it is far from grainless.  Shooting bulk
loaded B&W and scanning with the newspaper's Nikon is the only way I can
afford to shoot as much as I do (and that¹s not much for a starving
engineering student :)...

I'd suggest you look to Kodak Xtol or HC-110.  Unfortunately my experience
in the dark doesn't even start to touch Ilford or other chemistry.

Mike