RE: [OM] Help or advice needed

Subject: RE: [OM] Help or advice needed
From: "David Howells" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:59:10 +0100
Thanks John,
The reading is not the same without the battery although, as you say, it
does respond at 1s/f1.8 to a light source.  Whilst having a closer look I
saw the time-delay lever is actually missing and a round piece of black
plastic has been stuck on to make it look more presentable.
If there's no-one in the UK who does this sort of work then I guess I'll
need send it to John H. at Camtech for a CLA (and perhaps fit one of the
nice covers that Morgan does!).
So, maybe there's a silver lining in this black cloud after all. <G>.

David Howells

|Sounds like the meter is out, could be the solder connection between the
negative tab and wire, a |not untypical problem with OM-1's. Try this,
remove the battery and see if the meter still shows |the same reading. Even
without a battery an OM-1 meter will move if you move the shutter speed to
|1 sec. and open the lens up to f1.8. According to John H. at Camtech most
OM-1 meters can be put |back in order but I don't know where in the UK to
find proper Olympus service.
|I'm sure one of the UK list members could advise you.
|Congratulations on your newly accquired OM-1, it is a great camera.
John Robison

<snip>  I just bought [another] OM-1 <snip> .... the lightmeter appears to
respond to light OK, but is about 6 or 7  stops out!!(I have changed the
battery and put in a brand -new HD625 1.35V cell.)
 Any ideas on how this can be fixed?