Re: [OM] [OT] Afganistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afganistan thinking
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:12:00 +1000
>The logical suggestion that Bush deactivates the outdated no-assasination
>doctrine now while people are "with" him would be extremely prudent. If he
>inanely decides to wait to do this, it will be tougher to do. But any good
>that's attributed to him now is really what anyone in his position would be
>advised to do anyway. That might take some initiative. I hope it happens.
>
>Larry

I'm surprised that there is such a specific 'doctrine' given the clear
attempts to get Saddam Hussein in the Gulf War (remember that bunker?) and
ibn Laden a couple of years ago. Neither attempt successful. Of course,
such an action invites similar retaliation - the usual reason for such
agreements is an attempt to agree on rules of engagement. Hard to set such
rules with a diffuse, transnational enemy.
AndrewF