Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:39:46 -0700

The British tried for a very long time to rule Afghanistan and the Soviets
tried for just ten years. Both prefer to forget about the experience. Oh,
and "occupation until a more sane and clear-thinking government might be
installed" (i.e. one that we approve of) is exactly what the Soviets
thought they were doing! People usually insist on running their own nation,
even if they are fucking it up totally. Funny that.

Unfortunately all of that is true as well. But then no one ever said there was an easy solution. My point is that a "military victory" has nothing to do with "winning" this war versus terrorism. We fight ideas.

Tris