Re: [OM] B&W thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W thoughts
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:24:56 +0200
Hi Ken,

> The problem I'm having
> with the Ilford multicontrast RC paper is that the deep blacks
> don't get coal-tar black like I've seen with Kodak
> paper/chemistry.  It's not exposure related as I can blast a
> sheet of paper till the cows come home and it still remains
> slight gray tinged.  I'm using the Ilford chemistry.  Does
> anybody have any thoughts?

I have observed the same thing about Ilford Multigrade RC paper. One thing that
is important to remember is that the dregree of blackening is dependent of the
paper graduation chosen. Graduation between 0.5 and 2.5 does not give deep
black rendition. 3 to 4 works fine, above that, the paper gets too hard to
render anything but black or white.

Also keep in mind, that the density of the negative plays an important role.
Don't expect the full spectre from whie to black from a soft negative.

Use the right darkroom light also.

I have produced the best black with Telenal Speed 3 (fixed grade RC paper).
Slightly underexposed and well overdeveloped, the blacks are as black as you
want them. The fixed graduation, however, required good negatives.

Hope this might help a little.

Regards

Bernd Moeller