Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afghanistan thinking
From: Nick Taylor <ntaylor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:45:56 -0700
Tris Schuler wrote:

> >The British tried for a very long time to rule Afghanistan and the Soviets
> >tried for just ten years. Both prefer to forget about the experience. Oh,
> >and "occupation until a more sane and clear-thinking government might be
> >installed" (i.e. one that we approve of) is exactly what the Soviets
> >thought they were doing! People usually insist on running their own nation,
> >even if they are fucking it up totally. Funny that.
>
> Unfortunately all of that is true as well. But then no one ever said there
> was an easy solution. My point is that a "military victory" has nothing to
> do with "winning" this war versus terrorism. We fight ideas.
>
> Tris

Even if we could achieve a military victory in Afgahnistan (or any other
country supporting terrorism) which I seriously doubt, then our next step
would be to install a government to our liking.  One of the many reasons
that a large portion of world peoples dislike or hate the US is that we
have a long history of installing puppet governments.

The long term result of following this route would be to further increase
the likelyhood of terrorist attacks.

FWIW, I have no good solutions.  Our goals should be to bring an end to
terrorist attacks, not just to gain revenge ... and every proposed course
of action that I've seen only lead to a future increase in terrorist
activities.

  -Nick T.