Re: [OM] Difference between motor drive and winder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference between motor drive and winder?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:37:44 -0700
on 9/17/01 12:02 PM, bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx at bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 01:41 PM 9/17/01 -0400, Tina wrote:
>> What's the difference between the motor drive and a winder?  I see that they
>> all work with OM cameras.  They all advance the film automatically.  I see
>> that 1 just has single-frame advance and the others advance the frame as
>> long as your finger is on the shutter release.  But what makes one better
>> than the other?  And *why* is one called a motor drive and the other a
>> winder?  To be honest, I feel like I'm asking a stupid question.  My goal is
>> to not have to advance the film myself.  Thank you!
>>
> Tina,
>
> If your goal is simply to have the film advanced then the winder is for
> you. Pros (and those needing rapid fire sequence shots) need the heavy duty
> horsepower of the motor drive group. I use both the Winder 1 and winder 2s
> on my OMs fairly regularly and have never needed the high frame rates that
> the motor drives provide even though I regularly shoot aviation related stuff.
>
> There is also less "stuff" to worry about with the winders than the motor
> drives.
> Barry H

Motor drive winds faster than a Winder. The continuous speed is faster, but
even on single shots, its ready a lot sooner for the next shot. The cycle
time on a MD-2 is something like 1/6 of a second, whereas a Winder 2 is
about 1/2 second... so if you're trying to capture just the right expression
on a face, and you miss the first one or there's an even better look, a MD
will likely have you ready to shoot again when a Winder might still be
advancing. Most of the time this isn't a big deal. If you buy a MD, consider
buying stock in a film company...
--

Jim Brokaw