Re: [OM] [OT] Afganistan thinking

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Afganistan thinking
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:31:49 +0000
Larry wrote:

> I think that is true, and we need whatever abilities the CIA has to be
> officially able to get rid of bin Laden specifically while Bush has everyone
> "with" him enabling him to recind that rule easily with no time for
> opposition.
>
> Larry
>
> "James N. McBride" wrote:
>
> > I think the no-assassination rule only applied to the CIA. That came about
> > partially because they had recently blown a couple of attempts and
> > embarrassed the politicians.

The "rule" preventing unprovocted assasinations was an executive order
issued by president Ford. It does not include defensive killings.
President Clinton issued an executive order in 1999 authorizing the use
of "deadly force" in apprehending bin Laden. Further, the killing of bin
Laden falls under the defensive killings exclusion according to the
White House because he attacked us first.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright