Re: [OM] Looseness in lens mount

Subject: Re: [OM] Looseness in lens mount
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:27:15 +0200
Hi Ron,

I have seen loose lens mounts with some very cheap 3rd party lenses before. It
seems to have to do with bad production tolerances or wear.

Is your sample lens a Zuiko? Then it should fit perfectly to you camera body,
with a play in the range of tens of millimetres.

Please check whether the small bolt on the lens bajonet mount still is there.
This bolt is mounted about 170 degrees counterclockwise from the f-stop
indicator (seen from the rear side of the lens). My precious 85/2.0 had this
when I bought it very used and cheap.

Very excessive use could also have worn the camera body side of the bajonet
mount, but since looseness only is observed this this particular lens, this
should not be the case with yours.

Normally this looseness does not affect photography. As long as the bajonet
mount is light-tight. The small differences in the f-stop transmission are
beyond 1/3 f-stop, and TTL metering levels this small error out.

Hope this helps you a little

Best regards

Bernd Möller