Re: [OM] One camera, one lens

Subject: Re: [OM] One camera, one lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:51:33 -0700
Hi Gang,

Through some recent reflection on my style of photography, and some off-list
discussions with a couple of members, I came across a question which may
lead to some interesting discussion on-list. If, for some reason, you could
only have one body and one lens in your kit, to be used for all your
photographic needs, what would they be? For lens considerations, you may
choose either a fixed focal length or a zoom, however if you choose the
latter, try to pick a focal length within the zoom range. For example, I
find that I use the 70mm focal length of the 35-70 f3.6 a lot for everything
from nature shots to candid portraits. My 50 f1.2 gets a fair amount of use
for street photography, especially when the light begins to fade. My 24 f2.8
and Tamron 17mm see the bulk of my nature shooting. However, if I had to
choose one lens to use exlusively, it would have to be the 85 f2. Mine is
beaten up, ugly looking, and needs replacing, but it could handle the bulk
of my shooting needs.

As for one body, I'd love to say the 2n, but would probably lean towards the
1n for mirror lockup.

So, what does everyone else have to say?

Bruce

Bruce Hamm
Ottawa, Canada
bhamm@xxxxxxxx

Before the luxury of a SLR I shot almost everything with either a 35mm or a 90mm even though I had a couple of more lenses to choose from. They create two beautiful perspectives. Even now, using mostly my 35-80, most of my shots are at the extremes of 35 or 80.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California