RE: [OM] One camera, one lens

Subject: RE: [OM] One camera, one lens
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
the thing with manual mode is that when you shift the
lens the exposure meter appears to goes off even
though you have the lens set correctly. You have to
compose unshifted and get the correct exposure before
you shift because once the lens is shifted it screws
things up for the lightmeter because the lens elements
are no longer lined up straight with the film. the
interesting thing I've learned is that none of the
actual glass of the lens moves at all! Just the very
back end. When I first saw shift lenses I thought
different elements of the lens moved. I wonder why the
24 shift has such a different construction from the
normal 24mm lens, why couldn't the engineers just glue
on a 24 normal to a shifting part. Of course I also
thought the bulging front part was just a thin
protective filter rather than the front element. Goes
to show ya how moronic I was just a few months ago :)

Mark Lloyd