Re: [OM] 24mm WA -- focus at infinity is off

Subject: Re: [OM] 24mm WA -- focus at infinity is off
From: The_Bobbs <sjea_bobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:35:05 -0600
Jim writes:

>Stuart Bobb wrote about an inexpensive non-Zuiko 24 mm wide that apparently
>doesn't focus to infinity anymore.
>
>For what it's worth, I would not put money into fixing an affordable 24 that
>doesn't focus to infinity.

To be sure, I have no intention on fixing it!  I'm just wondering whether it
will ever effect image quality or not.  Thus my "possible response"   list
(repeated in abbreviated form):

a) Don't worry about it. The depth of field on a 24mm is so huge when focusing
at anything more than 10 feet away you'll never see a problem on the film

b) This is bad, bad, bad! Try to return it, junk it, whatever. Here are 8 ways
it is going to someday ruin that great shot of <whatever>

c) Here's a definitive test. Do the following <simple test>. If the picture
looks sharp, you're pretty much in category "a".

d) Don't you know! All Wide Angles do this because <unusual physics lesson in
optics follows>

e) Avoid the problem by doing X, Y and/or Z.

> While I sometimes want something wider than the
>28mm /2.0 Zuiko, I've having fun trying digital panorama software.  I
>recently took 6 frames covering about 180 degrees in overlapping fashion
>with the 28.  The $30 software seemlessly joined and blended the images
>together.

Great suggestion!  Your picture is the kind of effect I'm imagining I would
like to end up with.  Thanks!

Now, about that 24mm ... got an opinion on a-e above? :-)

>Jim L'Hommedieu

Stuart