Re: [OM] Difference between motor drive and winder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference between motor drive and winder?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:51:59 -0700
on 9/18/01 10:12 AM, Henrik Dahl at hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks, this will go to my save mail box. The thing is with the MD1
> that it's so small and light in itself that you wish it would stay
> like that when actually powered. Well, welcome back to reality
> Henrik...
>
> Henrik Dahl
>
> PS Isn't it a little funny that it can run on two different voltages
> (15 & 18)? I thought most electronic stuff could only handle one
> voltage.

The MD1 is not much bigger than a Winder when powered by the NiCd pack, and
its over twice as quick to cycle... I think its a better choice, especially
if you can get the MD1 for $50. Its also no noisier, and offer continuous
shooting which the Winder 1 does not.

The MD2 is bigger and heavier, and I don't find the power rewind to be any
advantage over using the crank (I think I'm just as fast cranking as the
motor does it) and it drains the battery pack rewinding.

Winder 1 & 2 are good for casual shooting, but add weight and bulk to the
camera. They are a nice solution if you want to set up a tripod-mounted
camera with a long-distance release (as for wildlife shots).
--

Jim Brokaw