Re: [OM] List name change

Subject: Re: [OM] List name change
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:49:32 +0200
At 06:08 19.09.01, Ray Moth wrote:
Thomas,

There are some long-standing members of this list who are respected for
their valuable contributions over the years and without whom the list
would be very much the poorer. Dirk is one of them. The present
extraordinary events demand extaordinary understanding and tolerance
for one another. I expect this list will settle down soon and I, for
one, am prepared to wait for it to do so.

It's not really a major inconvenience for there to be OT threads at a
time like this, is it?. There have been a number of far less defensible
OT threads in the past, believe me! I hope we lose no members over this
present issue but, if there are people who can't tolerate a week or so
of OT stuff and elect to remove themselves, so be it.

Believe me, I've seen a few OT discussions in my - what - 4-5 years of lurking here, but I think this is the first time a long standing member has argued his *right* to post OT. That is plain absurd, and - in my eyes - his non-flattering characteristic of list members who want to stay on topic didn't help his case much either. I don't know if DW is still around, but I want him to know that my target was the OT threads, not the person. I'm sorry if I missed my target.

I also wonder if the list would've ever settled down if noone had the guts to speak up in troubled times like this, the Ob*n-incident, the SUV war, etc. I suspect we could've lost much more than one "valuable" member, whatever that is.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn