Re: [OM] voltage differences for electronics - OT

Subject: Re: [OM] voltage differences for electronics - OT
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:32:42 +0200
Off-topic but NOT Afghanistan! My computer (Power Computing Mac clone) uses
168 pin DIMM memory, 5 volt fast-page mode. Of course this is now hard to
find compared with 4 years ago, while "PC-100" and "PC-133" memory is just
about falling off trees (I've seen 512MB DIMM advertised for $40!)

Is it possible that the PC-100 would work in my computer? -- I think the
voltage spec is 3.3v not 5.0v. Its almost cheap enough to just buy it and
try it...
--

Jim Brokaw

Jim,
I would NOT try that. I'm not sure if it's so much the difference in voltage as the way the computer adresses memory in blocks and bytes and all that. The 168 DIMM is very special for early Powermacs. PC-133 is faster and cheaper (!) , but won't work on pre-G3 macs. IMHO, of course.

Henrik Dahl