Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:21:08 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Barker"

 No flames, only facts CH: Macs now use the same RAM as WIntel
 machines, and my Mac (from 1998) has both SCSI and IDE connections
 internally.

Thanks for the information, I rare read about Mac.

 You might find it rewarding to  find someone to lend you a Mac (a G3
 or a G4) and to show you what it can do; the speeds are not
 equivalent in that a 500MHz Mac will be quite a bit faster than a
 500MHz Intel running Windows programmes because, I believe, the
 architecture is much simpler.

I know the Mac could be faster with the same CPU speed, but Intel and AMD
just running very fast since there are lots of people using them, they have
the money to spend on development. They are now 2GHz and 1.4GHz
respectively. I really don't know if a Mac system of $3000 or below can work
faster than them.

C.H.Ling

Side by side tests between PC and Macs have demonstrated that Mac G4 run Photoshop operations at roughly twice the speed of PCs at the same clock speed. So a G4 867MHz is roughly equivalent to a 1.6 GigHz PC. There is also a Mac with dual 800MHz processors that is quicker yet. Part of the speed of the G4 has to do with the AltiVec portion of the chip and the application has to be written to take advantage of it. PhotoShop is written that way. Other applications may not be. In that situation the Mac will be a little faster than a PC with the same clock speed, but the advantage will not be so decided.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California