[OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?

Subject: [OM] Digital question; when does touch-up become cheating?
From: "jlamadoo, home account" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:23:44 -0400
I don't know the particular of scanning but the physics are that a matte is
ALL glare.  The light in the room bounces all over the surface, so you have
no deep shadows on matte paper, IMO.  Room light bounces all over the
surface, scattering the reflection.  Matte has a texture, while glossy is
smooth.

With glossy paper, there's only a specular highlight.  Give me glossy
everytime.

Jim

Dan also asked,
>>>  (oh, and another scanner-related question -- why does it take 3 times
as
long to scan a matt print as a glossy one? I tried scanning matts on the
'glossy' setting, and they looked dreadful, so there's definitely something
going on; does anyone know what it is? I'd expect matt would be _easier_ to
scan because there's less glare, but it seems not..)