[OM] Re: My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers]

Subject: [OM] Re: My LAST Farewell from one of the BIGGER enablers]
From: Craig Cunningham <craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx>
Date: 19 Sep 2001 22:33:14 CDT
Brian,

I'm truly sorry to see you (as well as Tom Scales, Gary Reese, and others)
leave the list. It seems that all of the most knowledgeable and helpful
members have decided that the abusive OT-posting people that obviously have no
personal friends (read: can't develop friendships that require direct personal
interaction) have made this list unusable.

Thomas Bryhn probably said it best (and most directly):
     "Find yourself a shoulder to cry on, not a keyboard. Seriously, I don't
understand why your "real feelings" have to be vented here, despite others
(supposedly unreal?!?) feelings to keep this an OM centered forum. You may
feel you know a few people here, but we're also 250 strangers listening in,
and I don't see anything "natural and normal" with OT personal feelings in
such a group. I really hope this list is not your only contact with the
outside world. That would be quite sad, but I can't help wondering."  >>> end
quote <<<

I don't know if you subscribe to the digest, but if not, have you considered
using the filtering feature with your email to just auto-trash the email from
the worst offenders? I use a web-based email service, and even its crude
filtering works quite well. I've added the following short list of addresses
to delete, and I'm already enjoying a cleaner Inbox.

Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx    (Jim Timpe)
tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Tris Schuler)
Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx (Larry)
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dirk Wright the "dragon boy")

If this doesn't eventually work for me, I'll also be dropping the list.

I sent posts off-list as well as on-list to certain members
asking them to refrain.  One member had previously sent me
an off-list question which I hadn't answered because of his
continuous inconsiderate posts.  That member then sent me an
off-list post stating that he wouldn't stop the obnoxious
posts until I answered his question. There was no <g> in his
message.   Geez. Get the hint man.

This is unbelievable. I guess that manners and civility aren't necessary for
people who hide behind their computers.

I hope that you can recover from your injury, and that the relationship with
your brother can eventually mend also.

But, I do know
that the nasty, snide and inconsiderate remarks that have
taken place on this list in the past week have convinced me
that I do not enjoy this list any more.  Some - no many- of
the posts from certain individuals have shown a complete
disregard for history, knowledge and just plain hard work by
some "older" list members. It just isn't the time in my life
to deal with the nastiness that I have witnessed the past
week.  It wasn't the OT posts, it was the intolerance of
certain members to others asking for moderation of the
nature of the posts. As I mentioned to one member who
contacted me off-list, one of the posters reminds me of
Howard Stern -"if you don't like it, go away".  I am.

I will stay on this list until this time next week.  That
will give certain members that desire, the ability to retain
my address and correspond.  I did stop in Midwest Photo this
past Monday and saw some neat new items.  Members wishing
info can correspond with me directly, I will not post to the
list.  I will not respond to any messages posted to me
on-list.

I am interested in hearing about what Midwest Photo has for sale.

>>> text deleted <<<

Don't remark that I will be back.  I won't.  I have made my
decision after a lot of reflection.  What I have seen has
not been nice and it has been very unpleasant for me.

Farewell my friends,
Brian P. Huber

Again Brian, I certainly respect your decision to walk away from the list
after what has transpired recently. If you or any of the other veterans of the
list decide to start a new list, please contact me.

Kind Regards,

- Craig

Craig Cunningham
mailto:craig.cunningham@xxxxxxx