[OM] Three day, three post rule

Subject: [OM] Three day, three post rule
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:36:32 -0700 (PDT)
Just a thought here before I cut and run too.  (I know I've
started the dreaded Jeep thread again...)

Why don't we institute a three day, three post rule on ANY and
ALL subjects.  What this means is that NO individual may post
more than ONE message a day for THREE days on any subject.  At
the end of three days (the third post) the subject ends.
Period.  No exceptions.  Violaters will be kicked off the list.
If something needs to be discussed in further detail it goes
offlist and comes back as a postscript note.

When we are limited to a total of three posts on a subject and
just one per day on that subject we will be more likely to raise
the quality of our posts and limits "knee-jerk" responses.  If
you can't adequately express your opinion in three posts, you
shouldn't have access to a computer.

Rarely are any of the OT posters digest members.  Nearly every
single one has always been on the "instant response list."  Just
maybe we need to do away with the standard list and have ONLY
the digest list.  I understand the filtering problem, but
honestly, it takes me a quarter of the time to go through the
digest as it did filtered individual posts and I make only one
response to a subject after reading the entire sequence of
posts.

I've known other lists to institute similar rules and I've been
on a couple lists that only had digest mode.  I hate the delays
(although these OT posts have increased the frequency of the
digests to three or four per day), but sometimes we must do what
we have to do.

These are desparate times requiring desparate changes.
Otherwise, consider this list dead by the end of the year.

The choice is ours.  Do we have the courage to do the right
thing?  It's obvious that we can't police ourselves so we have
to institute radical list changes.

Ken (AG-Schnozz) N.

ps.  It has been such a pleasure to see certain individuals grow
in maturity and tolerance since joining the list.  I remember
the flamewars about compact cars vs gas guzzling SUVs.  Thank
you, Spiro de dum de doo (whatever-<g>) for contributing such
positive posts this year.  You've become a valued member.