Re: [OM] Re: [OT] dell woes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] dell woes
From: "Andrew Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>" <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:39:12 -0700
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:33:08 -0500, "Allen Baker" <starblaze@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Careful - Linux is a pretty techie option,

"a little bit pregnant"

However, it's rewarding once you get your sea legs.  Many fewer viruses to
worry about, for starters...

> I favor windows 2000, but it seems a bit less tolerant of non-microsoft
> compliant software than windows 98 is.

You mean like IE and Netscape?  Both crash regularly on me under W2K if I have
java and or javascript turned on.   I don't get crashes as often under unix,
and unix definitely would if the programs were misbehaving.  I blame Bill.

> We don't use Dell exclusively, but it's probably our first choice at work

HP for desk-side PCs, IBM ThinkPads for laptops [compute anywhere!] at my
place of employ.  Not to say that there are some common nasty problems with
the HP Vectras -- keyboard port tends to get blown out from time to time[!] as
its controller chip goes south.

IBM ThinkPads are the standard laptop for both sides of my family.

One of my co-workers has had a nasty problem with her dell lapdog a few years
ago in the past -- display went out -- and dell was quoting $1k+ to fix.  Bad
Dell!

> I'm not real partial to ME. You shouldn't have network problems
> with it unless either hardware or OS is corrupt. Try a re-install of OS
> after formatting the hard drive and try again.

Car stopped working?  Try emptying the gas tank, pull the engine out and drain
its fluids, put everything back together and try again. )-:

Every time you install a new program, you run the risk of fouling up the
entire box due to MS's dumb design decisions made over ten years ago.

> Lots of software can cause your symptoms. Try a clean install and get the
> network working first, then add other software in order of importance.

Because it's likely something that you installed that messed things up.  Once
you break everything, re-install from scratch everything but the last program.

> Dell's phone support is generally pretty good also. Stay with it and you
> should be able to resolve the problem.

The last time I needed IBM's phone support, it was definitely top-notch -- and
I grade extremely hard on this sort of thing, being a techie m'self.

        andy