Re: [OM] window cleaning

Subject: Re: [OM] window cleaning
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:39:49 -0500
It's my understanding (subject to those who may know better) is that
"multi-coating" is done by super-heating lens elements in a vacuum, then
injecting
vaporized rare earths into the chamber.  The surfaces of the "glass" are thereby
impregnated with a very thin layer, usually 1/4 of the wavelength of the
particular spectrum of light being compensated for.  And I don't believe the
interior surfaces are "coated" at all (again, there may be those who know
better....), and it's the interior surfaces that usually grow fungus.

The only times I've seen coatings damaged were when abrasive cleaning agents
(silicone paper, sandpaper, etc. ;^) were used to clean a lens -- regular
tissues
and solvents won't hurt things.  In fact, we vigorously rub the nose oil into
the
surface by fingertip or tissue, then swab clean.  Even if it _does_ do some
minute
damage, it's far less a problem than plants sprouting from the glass!  ;^)