Re: [OM] One camera, one lens

Subject: Re: [OM] One camera, one lens
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:48:07 -0700

When travelling in countries where photography is more or less forbidden, due to f. ex. religion, I often say that I work for a newspaper (which I don't) and then it's OK to take a shot. Come to think of it, isn't it strange that if I state that I may publish their face all over, I get to take the photograph, but if I want to take one for my most private collection (i.e. for almost noone to see) it's a no no.

(Some of you may think I'm a lousy person lying like that, but I can assure you it's not for taking advantage of people but simply to get nice pictures to show to myself, my wife and a couple of friends. I *do* respect culture in the countries I go to.)

That was my response to the man who objected to me photographing the homeless guy on the pavement. I didn't say I worked for a news service, just that I was photojournalist (in the loose sense, I didn't bother to add). This did calm the gentleman down somewhat but I still moved on. Had the shot been "important" I would not have moved on, indeed, probably would have ignored everything else. It was not important, not even all that interesting, so I acquiesced. As I noted, my action was a reflex more than anything else. I see activity that's in the least manner outside of the norm and my camera always swings up.

I've never traveled to a country where photography's taboo. Not sure I wish to now.

Tris