Re: [OM] Alternatives to the Eveready Case?

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternatives to the Eveready Case?
From: Neal Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:30:02 +0100
Rich,
Suggestions.
To avoid the problem of film changing...take less photos!! No, seriously.
Less may be more.
If that's not an option:-
1. go for a bulk film back (extreme solution),
2. wind your own 35 mm cassettes (it's amazing how much film will fit
inside - easily 43 frames), or
3. get your hands on an Olympus Pen F, FT, FV half frame.  I've got a Pen
F.  It's great for mountains in the winter (difficult to load film with
gloves, too cold not to wear gloves). About 74 shots on a bought roll and
if I wind the cassette myself I can get nearly 90.

To stop the dust/snow, try a large, thick transparent plastic bag.  The
open end is held around the lens barrel with elastic bands. I can operate
the stutter speed control through the plastic and see well enough through
the viewfinder. All aperture controls are outside the bag.  I used a
similar set up in Iceland a few years ago..it was very dustly there (before
the snow fell!) I tend to use cheaper lenses when the weather is rough.  T2
mount presets are fine - I often use a 35 mm preset. I also use OM fit
lenses with an adapter.  I'd love some Pen fit lenses but can't really
justify the expense.

At 04:41 PM 20/09/2001 EDT, you wrote:
>O.K., inventing a new ON-topic thread here...
>
>Has anyone found a reasonable substitute for the "Neveready" case?  I read
>that some folks just take it off altogether when shooting, but I do a lot of
>mountain driving, for example, where in summer, there is much dust.  I hate
>to carry the camera naked in such circumstances.
>
>Also, I often take the top off the case when shooting, but RARELY take the
>bottom off, too.  I just don't go through my film that fast, and hiking,
>etc., I want some protection in case I slip & fall.  I don't want ONE ding
in
>my OM bodies.
>
>I want protection for the body/lens, but also the ability to get into
>"action" quickly, as well as convenient film changes.  The "Neveready" case
>is good for protection, kinda slow in getting into action, and a pain for
>film changes.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Rich

system administrator at: