RE: [OM] Re: OLy Items FS

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: OLy Items FS
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:49:39 -0600
> [snip]
> 4.  Two (2) T-20 Connectors.  $20.00 each plus $1.50
> 5.  One Type 3 Auto Connector.  $20.00 plus $1.50 Shipping.
> 6.  TTL Auto Cord T 0.3m in box. $20.00 plus $1.50 Shipping.

 Could someone clear up what's going on with all the various TTL/other flash
connectors, please? (I've looked on om-sif, and that tells me what they
_are_, but not why they exist..)

 I always assumed that if you want to have a flash off-camera, you'd just
have a cable which had a connector at one end that looked like a shoe, and
at the other end that looked like the bottom of a flash, so you'd just mount
the flash on a 'shoe' that happened to not be on top of the camera.

 All the various cables and stuff seem to suggest this isn't the case,
though. Presumably the TTL connectors hook up to the TTL socket on the front
of the camera -- but why does this even exist at all? Can't you just do
everything through the shoe? (if so, why the extra socket? if not, why not?
If I just bought a flash shoe and foot (for the sake of argument, by
disassembling a flash and camera), and ran wires between the two
appropriately, why wouldn't this work?

 Looking on B&H's site, I can't see anything as generic and simple as what
I'm expecting -- everything seems to use a wide variety of custom connectors
of one sort or another, which seems to have no real gain to me as a
customer, but means that manufacturers can sell more accessories. Am I being
overly skeptical here?

 thanks,

 -- dan