RE: [OM] Re: OLy Items FS

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: OLy Items FS
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

Could someone clear up what's going on with all the various TTL/other
flash connectors, please? (I've looked on om-sif, and that tells me
what they _are_, but not why they exist..)

I always assumed that if you want to have a flash off-camera, you'd
just have a cable which had a connector at one end that looked like a
shoe, and at the other end that looked like the bottom of a flash, so
you'd just mount the flash on a 'shoe' that happened to not be on top
of the camera. . .  <snip>   . . . If I just bought a flash shoe and
foot (for the sake of argument, by disassembling a flash and camera),
and ran wires between the two appropriately, why wouldn't this work?

Daniel,

I agree with you that Olympus does seem to have made the off-camera TTL
solution unnecessarily complicated. There is no reason that I know of
for this. Your suggested solution, of a cable connected between the
flashgun and the hot shoe, is used by some other manufacturers, e.g.
Nikon's SC-17 cable: for an illusttration, see

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/EXT-FLASH/NIKON/NIKON-ACC.html

The SC-17 does the job perfectly for off-camera TTL flash. It has a
tripod socket in the flashgun end of the cable, which is a good idea
for mounting the flashgun. It just happens to have the same pin
configuration as the Leica R8, which is why I bought one.

The SC-17 itself would not work for Oly, since the layout of pins is
different; however, as you rightly surmize, you could make up a cable
like that for Oly by cannibalizing a flash and a camera.

Regards,

=====
Ray