Re: [OM] Admin Message - your attention please

Subject: Re: [OM] Admin Message - your attention please
From: "Martin G Flink" <mgflink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:48:08 -0700
Giles...Well stated...Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: Giles <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Gary Reese
<pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Tom Scales <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; John Hudson
<xyyc@xxxxxxxx>; dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Gregg Iverson
<golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, September 21, 2001 4:19 PM
Subject: [OM] Admin Message - your attention please

The current level of seriously off-topic posts to the lists is causing
serious levels of acrimony.  Quite a few long-time list members have
recently left the list as a result, their reasons are not identical but the
common factor is off-topic posts.

Those who have left include:

Garth Woods
Gary Reese
Tom Scales
Dave Bulger
John Hudson
Dirk Wright

And probably others, these are just the ones that spring immediately to
mind.  I don't think any of these people have been subscribers for less
than 3+ years.

I think it is fairly obvious that when list members of such long standing,
and who have contributed so much, decide to leave almost en masse - there
is a problem.

I have never wanted to moderate the list or act as censor.  Even now I do
not wish to.

So I am hereby making an 'appeal' for a big reduction in the sustained
pursuit of off-topic threads.

In light of the recent horrific and momentously tragic events in the US, I
think there is obviously a clear emotional desire and need for some people
to discuss related matters.

So it is my suggestion that those who wish to pursue whatever issues they
feel a need to - do so freely for one week as of this day.  So by Saturday
29th long running off topic threads should cease.

I will go further and suggest that at-length discussions of American
politics and millitary actions, unless they somehow pertain to Olympus
photographic equipment, should be discouraged.

These are just suggestions.  If I were to make them rules I might
ultimately have to enforce them and eject offenders from the list.  I would
rather join the ranks of the departed than be put in that position.

Essentially this is a plea for people to exercise discretion and self
restraint with regard to off-topic threads.  By no means am I suggesting
that no off-topic discussions arise, just that people should try and keep
an eye on the signal to noise ratio of the list at any given time and
perhaps refrain from contributing to the noise when they realise the
overall level has gotten to be a bit much.

I seriously feel that if we do not do something collectively about this
situation fairly soon, the continuation of this list may be in doubt.

I would like to extend a plea to all those who have recently departed
because of some aspect of this issue, to please reconsider.

Giles
List Administrator