Re: [OM] magnetic deviation (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] magnetic deviation (OT)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:46:07 -0500
Chris Barker wrote:

> I just * know* that you will appreciate my telling you this Rich
> (:>)): the difference between True and Magnetic North is called
> Variation (about 3 deg West where I live in Cambridgeshire, about 30
> deg I should think in the USA).  Deviation is the difference between
> a map's Grid and True (or Magnetic).
>
> There, I knew that would come in useful some day ;-).
>
> Chris

Chris,

Magnetic deviation from true north in the US is very large in the
Northwest, over 20 deg, but small in the East.  It is near 0 through
Alabama, I think.  It is less than the compass resolution on my plane
here in Louisiana, about 2 degrees.

To at least mention Olympus, I just bought a 2n from a list member.  My
thanks to Tom and John.

I sincerely hope we can get back to the old list and excercise
tolerance, respect, and decorum.  I intend to stick it out and just
ignore the flames, but I do miss so many who have left.

Jerry Liles