Re: [OM] Admin Message - Fixed OM2S battery - Hank

Subject: Re: [OM] Admin Message - Fixed OM2S battery - Hank
From: hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:05:10 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Scales <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>, dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
How I made a rechargeable remote battery for my OM2sp with an
on off switch that fits in a plastic 35mm film can -- Hank Hogan
<hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

My OM2S is still a battery eater especially when I mount it on a
tripod and use a remote trigger for the winder.

Those batteries cost three dollars each. I think my local supplier's
batteries are out of date because they not last as long as the ones
John Hermanson put in my camera when I sent it to him for an overhaul.

I had some NiMh battery cells left over from my motor drive rebuild
project.  I tested with a V-O-M (meter) and some wires and determined
that three cells would supply the camera with the needed current
(two cells were not enough).

How to make the connector - I tried some water faucet valve seats,
close but not good enough.  I looked at my little tube of Kester
Rosin core solder - I wonder if the little cap would fit into the
battery receptacle of my OM2sp camera ? Voila, it's a perfect fit!
The little polyethylene cap fits snug into the battery well and
the little flange on the cap makes it flush with the bottom camera
plate !

Next, I took a black tie wire of the type that are used to close
large plastic bags, or bundle electrical cords and stripped of both
ends of the black plastic ribbon.  I test the electrical resistance
with the ohm meter. Yes, it will work fine !  Does the Winder II
fit one and operatate? Yes !  Polarity of the OM2SP ? Outside positive
inside negative - just look at the little silver oxide batteries.

Put a kink in the bared end of the tie wire and hang it up in the
spring that usually contacts the negative pole of the 357 battery.
Put a piece of scotch tape on it to hold in place as it comes out
of the hole in the plastice cap center.

For the outside positive connection I found a little screw that would
fit into that threaded hole in the side of the camera body intended
for the little black rubber grip that I have never seen in my life.
I soldered the positive lead into a small "solder-less" lug and put
some tiny lock washers on either side.

Okay, solder the connections to the tin of the three NiMh cells
(like Frank van Lindert explained few years ago).

Put a Radio Shack style in-line power connector jack on the leads
and an in-line plug into a hole that you melt in the plastic film
cannister lid.  On the other put a hole in for a micro on/off switch.

I works great and if the leads are long enough it can be placed
in your pocket to keep warm for outdoor photography in the Winter.
It can also be attached to the camera strap with some thick rubber
bands with the long leads folded up.

My little transformer has a variable voltage switch with a connector
that fits into the plug mounted into the film can lid.

Okay now for the details: Kester Pocket-Pak rosin core solder with
Kester's exclusive Servi-tube dispenser (it has a little shirt pocket
clip like a ball point pen)  I purchased it for $1.49 at MarVac
electronics in Pasadena, last year, I think.
There is an address on the tube: 515 Touhy Ave., Des Plainee, Illinois
zip code 60018

Now I've got my OM2sprogram working on a rechargeable battery !
I didn't spend anything because I already had all this stuff in my
electronics projects box of junk cannibalized from old equipment.

-- Hank

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The current level of seriously off-topic posts to the lists is causing
serious levels of acrimony.  Quite a few long-time list members have
recently left the list as a result, their reasons are not identical but the
common factor is off-topic posts.

Those who have left include:

Garth Woods
Gary Reese
Tom Scales
Dave Bulger
John Hudson
Dirk Wright

And probably others, these are just the ones that spring immediately to
mind.  I don't think any of these people have been subscribers for less
than 3+ years.

I think it is fairly obvious that when list members of such long standing,
and who have contributed so much, decide to leave almost en masse - there
is a problem.

I have never wanted to moderate the list or act as censor.  Even now I do
not wish to.

So I am hereby making an 'appeal' for a big reduction in the sustained
pursuit of off-topic threads.

In light of the recent horrific and momentously tragic events in the US, I
think there is obviously a clear emotional desire and need for some people
to discuss related matters.

So it is my suggestion that those who wish to pursue whatever issues they
feel a need to - do so freely for one week as of this day.  So by Saturday
29th long running off topic threads should cease.

I will go further and suggest that at-length discussions of American
politics and millitary actions, unless they somehow pertain to Olympus
photographic equipment, should be discouraged.

These are just suggestions.  If I were to make them rules I might
ultimately have to enforce them and eject offenders from the list.  I would
rather join the ranks of the departed than be put in that position.

Essentially this is a plea for people to exercise discretion and self
restraint with regard to off-topic threads.  By no means am I suggesting
that no off-topic discussions arise, just that people should try and keep
an eye on the signal to noise ratio of the list at any given time and
perhaps refrain from contributing to the noise when they realise the
overall level has gotten to be a bit much.

I seriously feel that if we do not do something collectively about this
situation fairly soon, the continuation of this list may be in doubt.

I would like to extend a plea to all those who have recently departed
because of some aspect of this issue, to please reconsider.

Giles
List Administrator