Re: [OM] Fixed my battery on OM2S

Subject: Re: [OM] Fixed my battery on OM2S
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:25:44 -0400
You can also buy batteries in bulk for about a quarter each on ebay:
http://cq-
search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ebaytag1=e
bayreg&ht=1&ebaytag1code=0&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=-
magnum+%2Bbatter*+@0++228+357+A76+D357+EPX76+G13+J+KA76+KS76+KX625+LR4
4+LR44+LR44+LR44P+MS76+PX76A+RS76+SP357+SR44+SR44P%20+SR44W+V13GA+V357
+V76PX

Tom

On Saturday, September 22, 2001 at 13:12, hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "[OM] Fixed my battery on OM2S," saying..

> How I made a rechargeable remote battery for my OM2sp with an
> on off switch that fits in a plastic 35mm film can -- Hank Hogan
> <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> My OM2S is still a battery eater especially when I mount it on a
> tripod and use a remote trigger for the winder.
>
> Those batteries cost three dollars each. I think my local supplier's
> batteries are out of date because they not last as long as the ones
> John Hermanson put in my camera when I sent it to him for an overhaul.
>
> I had some NiMh battery cells left over from my motor drive rebuild
> project.  I tested with a V-O-M (meter) and some wires and determined
> that three cells would supply the camera with the needed current (two
> cells were not enough).
>
> How to make the connector - I tried some water faucet valve seats,
> close but not good enough.  I looked at my little tube of Kester Rosin
> core solder - I wonder if the little cap would fit into the battery
> receptacle of my OM2sp camera ? Voila, it's a perfect fit! The little
> polyethylene cap fits snug into the battery well and the little flange
> on the cap makes it flush with the bottom camera plate !
>
> Next, I took a black tie wire of the type that are used to close
> large plastic bags, or bundle electrical cords and stripped of both
> ends of the black plastic ribbon.  I test the electrical resistance
> with the ohm meter. Yes, it will work fine !  Does the Winder II fit
> one and operatate? Yes !  Polarity of the OM2SP ? Outside positive
> inside negative - just look at the little silver oxide batteries.
>
> Put a kink in the bared end of the tie wire and hang it up in the
> spring that usually contacts the negative pole of the 357 battery. Put
> a piece of scotch tape on it to hold in place as it comes out of the
> hole in the plastice cap center.
>
> For the outside positive connection I found a little screw that would
> fit into that threaded hole in the side of the camera body intended
> for the little black rubber grip that I have never seen in my life. I
> soldered the positive lead into a small "solder-less" lug and put some
> tiny lock washers on either side.
>
> Okay, solder the connections to the tin of the three NiMh cells
> (like Frank van Lindert explained few years ago).
>
> Put a Radio Shack style in-line power connector jack on the leads and
> an in-line plug into a hole that you melt in the plastic film
> cannister lid.  On the other put a hole in for a micro on/off switch.
>
> I works great and if the leads are long enough it can be placed
> in your pocket to keep warm for outdoor photography in the Winter. It
> can also be attached to the camera strap with some thick rubber bands
> with the long leads folded up.
>
> My little transformer has a variable voltage switch with a connector
> that fits into the plug mounted into the film can lid.
>
> Okay now for the details: Kester Pocket-Pak rosin core solder with
> Kester's exclusive Servi-tube dispenser (it has a little shirt pocket
> [...]

---------------  Abacurial Information Management Consultants
Tom A. Trottier, President ICQ:57647974  http://abacurial.com
        415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
        +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  N45.417 W75.705
(after 2001 Oct 14) 758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115  N45.412 W75.714
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin F
ranklin