Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night

Subject: Re: [OM] How to take a picture of a building at night
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:10:15 -0700
I needed to read more closely. You should always use a cable release on a tripod. The entire point of the exercise is to reduce camera shake. The cable release minimizes that.

I don't know about "tricks" but I usually shoot with a hood, even at night. Also, while bracketing your shot will help in this area, try to determine beforehand what you want to achieve with regard to shadows and highlights, and be aware of light hot spots within your field of vision (e.g., street lamps, a light off in the distance on some other building, etc.) and adjust your exposure accordingly--by shooting print film you'll be afforded a lot more exposure latitude with this in mind.

Good luck.

Tris

I would like to know how to take a picture of a well
illuminated building at night. I will be using a good
tripod and an OM-4 with a variety of lenses mainly a
24-shift, 135 3.5, and 50 1.4 or 1.8., and Kodak Gold
200 film. What I would like to know is what f-stops I
should be shooting at. Whther I should be using mirror
and apeture prefire. Can I use auto or do I have to
use bulb. If I have to use bulb, how long, (in genral
should I use it for?) Can I use a cable release? And
finally is there anything else, any tips or tricks I
should think about when taking the picture, or if
there is anything I missed that I have to do when
taking the picture. Thank you for your answers

Mark Lloyd