Re: [OM] JLind's winning entries was No peace here

Subject: Re: [OM] JLind's winning entries was No peace here
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:28:50 +0000
Thanks to Acer, Les Clark, and several others who made kind remarks about my two "winners." Due to tons of as yet still lost email because my ISP was taken down by the W32-NIMBA worm, I had to scan the archive digests for about the past four days. So . . . if I've missed someone else's posting about them . . . sorry . . . and thank you.

Les:
I'm not quiting my "day job" although I have given some thought about placing a few works for sale in fine art galleries. Breaking into that is very difficult though. One must develop a "name" first. As Ken Norton (et alia) will likely concur, "fine art" photography alone doesn't put much food on the table. Journalism, commercial, wedding, portrait and stock photography can, if you're very, very good and build up enough business and equipment for it before going full-time. Ansel Adams put the bread on his table doing commercial photography for many years, and did what he's famous for now in his spare time (what little there was). Even with that the excellent local professionals I know spend long hours and work very hard for their income.

Got some additional good news yesterday. One of the two submissions to the Indiana University Kokomo Gallery Regional Juried Art Exhibition was accepted for exhibit there (what a mouthful that title is). It's not the one I would have expected (IMO the weaker of the two). Indeed, my "other half" thinks it's a comparatively "weak" photograph among the bulk of my works. I submitted it only because it has more "artistic vision" in its symbolism than others that are stronger overall . . . just to see what would happen. Juried art exhibits are completely dependent on the juror(s) and an entirely subjective selection. The best part was her remark upon seeing the notification card which showed rejection of one and acceptance of the other: "They must have checked the wrong boxes!" There's no explaining what gets selected for exhibit and what does not, and among those what wins and what doesn't (unless it's quite obviously very, very bad photography). "Best of Show" at one may not even rate an "Honorable Mention" at another.

Don't have a scan of it yet   :-(
Reception is in a week, and we're looking forward to seeing the entire gallery which includes pottery, clay, painting, drawing, etchings, etc. Just making the cut for the exhibit is sufficient. Phtography tends to be the "bastard child" of the "art world" and usually does not fare well when placed into "all media" competition. I'm not holding my breath about any award.

-- John