[OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit

Subject: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 07:35:18 EDT
Hi Zuiks,

Stopped in Glazers in Seattle today.  Picked up a QR plate for the Bogen
monopod (How COOL!  This is new territory for me!) and a Lowe Orion Mini belt
pack -- almost a holster, but with room to each side of the body for filters,
film, etc., small mesh pockets inside the lid and outside, and one little
zippered outside pocket, which holds a lens hood nicely.

Thanks to whoever it was who planted that seed (holster/belt pack) in my
mind.  I set out thinking I wanted a Mini or Micro Trekker, but upon
reflection, I realized I still want to be able to wear a regular daypack with
lunch, gorp, water bottle, binoculars, 10 essentials, etc. for many of the
trips I have in mind.  I don't want to cram food, water, and OM gear all
together in the same backpack.  Too much chance for disaster doing that.  And
as I sometimes wander miles from the truck ("Wonder what I can see from up
there?"), twisting an ankle (or getting lost) could mean spending a night in
the mountains, which for the unprepared proves fatal, year after year.  So
there can be no compromise on the essentials.  Seven lenses but no jacket,
gloves, etc., and you're a fool (I'm an idiot!).

I can easily spin the Orion around my waist from back to front in a jiffy,
and have the camera up in action almost as fast as getting it out of the
neveready case when hanging around my neck, which is NOT a comfortable way to
carry it when hiking.  And of course, I can leave the top, or the entire
eveready case off the camera, it's so well-protected inside the Orion.  No
case to take off for film change!

At the moment, the 35-105/3.5-4.5 is on the OM-2S in the Orion.  A good fit.
Think I've found a good, light mountain (or travel) kit here.  Will probably
revert to the OM-1n in truly cold weather.

At $27, the Orion was a LOT gentler on the wallet than a Trekker of either
stripe would have been, leaving more pesos for other things.  :-)

Rich