Re: [OM] [OT] This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome, and Digital Olys

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome, and Digital Olys
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 19:20:24 +0000
At 20:01 9/23/01, Garth Wood wrote:
Once again, I'm falling in love with Kodachrome 64, after having shot a couple of rolls for old times' sake. Awesome colour fidelity and rendition. Nice saturation. Incredibly fine grain. I know very little about the genius(es) who created this stuff around 60 years ago, but I tip my hat to 'em. Now I'm gonna blow a few rolls of the stuff on the fall foliage around these parts. My only regret is that fewer and fewer places anywhere are processing Kodachrome, so turnaround times are long (I'm averaging two to three weeks) and costs remain high. (And the included mailers are virtually useless in Canada.)

**HEAVY SIGH**

I even like Kodachrome for portraiture, certainly as much as any "dedicated" portraiture film like Portra. I wonder if Kodak would ever consider *improving* the stuff, or if digital has it doomed.

I keep dreaming of the same . . . an improved Kodachrome, perhaps retaining the same granularity and overall characteristics at ISO 100. Its significant difference compared to the E-6's (in addition to color rendition) is the lack of dye linkers which makes K-14 emulsion much thinner (the dye linkers must be added during processing). Just got yet another roll of KR-64 back from processing and marveled at the detail levels.

Mark Dapoz mentions Provia 100F which I use in the medium format rig (no 120 Kodachrome for some time now). It is an exceptionally fine grain film with slightly different color rendition, but still close. One problem with Provia which Mark may not have encountered yet. Bright point sources of light create a blob on the film. It's as if the light flares across the eumulsion layers sideways and bleeds into surrounding emulsion. I know it's not the lens; it looks distinctively different from lens flare. I've also heard photogs who do a lot of train photography complain about it (bright engine headlamps).

-- John