Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:41:15 -0600
Don't get me wrong -- the new generation E-6 films are a revelation!  I have a
bunch of slides from the mid-to-late-80s which have become washed out, almost
"ghostlike" compared to what they were like when first processed, but the new
generation stuff's finer-grained, has better (more faithful) colour rendition
and, one hopes, better archival qualities.  But there's just something about
Kodachrome, some ineffable quality that seems to set it apart.  Maybe it's like
"art" -- I don't know much about it, but I know what I like!

My favourite E-6 film so far is still Velvia -- I shot a bunch of rolls of
Sensia in France this spring, and more on my multi-day odyssey around the south
of Alberta a couple of weeks ago, but it just doesn't float my boat the way
Velvia does.  I'd still use Kodachrome more if I had better access to
processing.

Oh well.  Maybe the new digital Oly SLR will address all my film issues.  ;-)

Garth