Re: [OM] 8mm 2.8 fisheye up on Ebay

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm 2.8 fisheye up on Ebay
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:28:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, andrew fildes wrote:

> A shift I could use and use but I can't really think of a use for a full
> circle fisheye once the novelty has worn off. Seriously expensive toy,
> but....what is the point?

There are many opportunities to use a circular fisheye, you just have to be
a bit innovative to find them.  The 8mm has the greatest depth of field
of any lens, you can get some incredible close up shots with the background
in full focus.  Panoramics are wonderful with this lens as long as you're
careful to keep the horizon in the middle and distinct vertical subjects
away from the edges.  Matt benDaniels has done some excellent full sky
astrophotography with this lens.  I don't have the URL handy but I'm sure
it's in the archives.  Then there's the whole VR thing.  I've never tried it,
but apparantly this lens is good for that.  The lens may seem to be a toy
at first, but once you use it you'll find that it has more uses than you
first thought.
                                -mark