Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome,

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Kodachrome vs Provia Was: This Idiot's Back, Kodachrome, and Digital Olys
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:09:09 -0700
Mark Dapoz wrote:

> I find Provia 100F isn't as contrasty as K64, especially when used indoors
> with a flash.  I also find it has a much warmer look while still maintaining
> colour accuracy.  Provia 100F is completely different from all the other
> Fuji films I've tried.  It doesn't have that over saturated, high contrast
> look that films such as Reala give you.  It's the first Fuji film I like :-)

Warmer than K64? I always found K64 plenty warm. Not sure how the fuji could be
warmer and still maintain color accuracy. Otherwise it sounds like it might be
worth
a try. I have to admit that my major gripe is the over saturated, high contrast
look.

> The grain on Provia 100F is very fine, about as fine as K64.  Fuji also
> claims the archival properties of Provia 100F is much better than the
> previous generation E6 films.

Many of the newer films are very fine grained, but still seem to lack that last
bit
of sharpness. I think that may be part of the K64 magic. The extra bit of
sharpness
combined with it's warm color palette gives it a very special look in my mind.

> That's also what I suspect, but I can't be certain.  I live in Canada and
> as far as I know Kodak no longer has any K14 processing labs here.  All film
> from the eastern side of the country is sent to the New Jersey plant for
> processing.  That could also add to the quality control problems I've
> experienced.
>                                 -mark

Truly sad if that is the case. I do wonder how much longer the film and
processing
will be available.

Jim Couch