AW: [OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's

Subject: AW: [OM] (Fwd) Using non-zuiko lenses with OM's
From: "Dr. Rainer Wagner" <Rainer.Wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:26:47 +0200

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:48:32 -0700
Hi Richard,
I dont have experience with the mirror lens, but use one of the other type.
It is a beroflex, looks very much like
the one in the auction. One gets these used on german ebay for less than 50
DM ( ~ 25 $) . The type is sold under the Danubia brand name new here for
almost exactly the starting price of the auction. This danubia lens has got
a  quite favorable test result in the german Fotomagazin, where it was
compared to lenses that cost about ten times as much. It rated "very good"
instead of "superb", but was nearly unbeatable for quality/price relation. I
like my beroflex, got very nice and sharp solar eclipse photos, even used it
with a 2x converter to shoot birds ( Ok, not usable for a glossy wildlife
calender, but really not bad.) SDo my advice would be: try to get one of
those used and cheap and try it !
By the way , I  like the way my OM2 can cope with all sorts of strange
glass, including a cannibalised 40/3,5 Sonnar from a broken Rollei A26,
which gave fantastic macro pics.
Have fun trying !
Rainer

Hi there,

My first post, I su*bscribe to the digest, so hope this is going to the
right place...

I've only used Zuiko lenses with my OM's but, given that the longer focal
length Zuiko's are expensive and/or heavy, I've been wondering about
off-brand lenses.  The 500mm Zuiko Reflex lens looks great, but I've never
come across one and imagine they'd be pretty expensive if I did find one.
There are a couple of 500mm which keep coming up on e*ay that are pretty
cheap, one of which weighs only 12.7oz and is 3x3.4 inches:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1277390137
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1277390669

Since you pay for what you get, I'm assuming that they're not great lenses,
but wondered if anyone had tried them or had any recommendations?

Thanks,

Richard