[OM] BW films redux

Subject: [OM] BW films redux
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:06:54 -0700 (PDT)
In my previous post I talked about this weekend's darkroom
experience, now let's talk film.

I'm seriously researching (love the internet) films and will
plan on going the bulk-film route for various reasons.

I have had a love/hate relationship with TMAX 100.  My biggest
problem has ALWAYS been burning out the highlights.
Over-exposing this film is NOT a good thing.  Nowhere near the
forgiveness of Plus-X, Pan-F or Tri-X.  Well, I learned that the
film is highly controllable in contrast with just time
adjustment in the developer.  Secondly, with TMAX developer, the
gradient is as close to linear as you can get.  When developed
in HC110, there is a rise in response in the midtones but then
flattens the highlights.  My TMAX negs have ALWAYS been
processed in TMAX RS developer (100 0evelopment time) which
results in different screwy response curves than regular TMAX
developer.  I'm realizing that my lab processed negs have never
been processed to the ideal specifications of the film!  I'm
sure the self-developers are right now saying "DUH!".

The Kodak information on the film is fascinating and is making
me want to give the film another chance.  The film can also be
pushed up to three stops and reversed!  Hmm.

It's time for me to pick up a couple of rolls and some developer
and do some experimenting.  The contrast control of the film, is
intruiging and could solve my problems with burned out
highlights.  Regardless, the linear response of the film with
regular TMAX developer is very much getting my attention.  I
don't mind the grain structure as it has a tendency to appear
tighter than it really is and blends better than an older style
film such as Plus-X.

I want to get a bulk-loader and go that route.  I've decided to
go B&W for a while--possibly exclusively for at least a year.
(paying jobs will be in color, of course).  I'm needing to
relearn the priciples of light and of fine-tuning.  I figure
that it would be a good thing to pick one film and maximize it.
My choices (because of grain) are TMAX 100 and Ilford Pan-F.

Just like it is important to take a farm field out of production
once in a while, it is important to radically change directions
and put the Velvia away.  I need to relearn some things and
improve my compositions.  This "forced" change will be good for
me.  But can I wait until AFTER the fall colors?

KN