Re: [OM] BW films redux

Subject: Re: [OM] BW films redux
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:46:08 -0700
Don't know about that, Jim. I used TMax for the first time this summer--not extensively, just a few rolls, as the cost of development and turnaround time over in Spain was horrendous--and shot it like I'd shoot Tri-X. The old rule of thumb there has always been to expose for your shadows and let the highlights take care of themselves. So far, that seems to work as expected--when held up next to other shots using Tri-X, admittedly with small prints, the results are similar.

If anything, and again, based on limited use of this emulsion, I'd say TMax represents an improvement over Tri-X. On balance. I like the look of TMax. How forgiving it is in the dark room I don't know, but the work I got back looks sharp, well balanced, good shadow detail without falling off of the highlights, etc. The two speeds I've used are 100 and 3200, and while there's more grain with the latter, as you'd expect, I find it quite acceptable considering what the photographer receives in exchange: the ability to shoot more difficult subjects in low-light situations. I'm anxious to see the effect of 3200 grain on close-up work, especially faces, and when the image is blown up. If and when I get the negatives scanned I'll share.

I took a couple of interesting color shots of a theatre marquee in London with Supra 800. I admit to being somewhat inebriated at the time and dodging the rain on top of that; also, it was pitch dark, with only the marquee lights to expose. One of my shots missed the final letter on the theatre name (The Palace) somehow, no doubt due to wine "sway." <g> They're scanned and I'll put them up eventually on a dedicated site. At the moment my computer system is about half fried--my HD grinds unmercifully whenever I try to use Explorer, and Scandisk cannot (will not--thank you, Bill) get past cluster 404606, so it might be a while.

The reason I mention these latter pictures is for the purpose of illustrating how graininess is not (in my opinion) always objectionable. It's noticeable in both pictures, but so what? Grain can actually add to the romance of a piece, at least to my eye and especially with B&W studies.

Anyway, that's all from the perspective of an old working photojournalist, someone who walks around and uses his camera mostly out of hand and often at night. You need speed for that work, and with speed comes more grain. How that "degrades" one's work I don't understand. The fact is that without faster emulsions there's be no such pictures in the first place!

Each emulsion has it place and proper use. There is not such thing as a "best" emulsion, only logical selections given the work before you.

And it's not like I'm some speed freak when it comes to film, either. I shot a lot of Konica 50 and Kodak Gold 100 on vacation, but I reserved these films for when the sun was high, or for work atop my tripod.

Tris

NO! :)
If you are serious about the B&W shoot some fall 'shades' & textures with it. Experiment with
filtration. I am sue you will get some good results.

I have never tried the T-Max, but its sounds from your description like one would want to treat it more like a slide film that a conventional B&W. In otherwords expose for the highlights NOT the
shadows. How does the shadow detail hold up when underexposed?

Jim Couch