Re: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] This Idiot's Found a Kit
From: "Andrew Dacey" <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:44:48 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 8:07 PM

>  I'm looking for something that'll hold a body, long zoom, macro lens,
> wide-angle, possibly extension tubes, possibly teleconverter, flash(?)
> tripod(?) and a bunch of film/other bits and bobs, which puts me at the
> large end of belt packs, or the small end of backpacks, in a sort of
awkward
> mid-ground.

You might want to take a look at Lowe Pro's Street and Field series.
Particularly, I picked up a S&F Rover Light. It's the same as the Rover,
except that where the Rover is built up from seperate components (available
individually or in a kit), the Rover light is al lthe components permanently
attached. A bit better for a backpack system, not as good for modularity,
which is better for you is a personal preference. Anyways, the pack is great
I found. I just spent 10 days in Europe using one as my main pack and it was
great. Held 2 OM-1n's with lenses attached and 4 more lenses, plus film
(actually, I bought a side bag that attaches to the belt to hold film and an
extra lens). Would definitely hold the items you want to hold. Also, there's
a nifty tripod holder on the back, haven't tried it myself yet but it looks
pretty handy. The pack is designed that the bottom section is padded and
holds all your gear. The top section is an unpadded daypack. There's a
padded divider the seperate the 2 sections, and you can open the bottom
section without opening the top (saves the fumbling for gear. Also, the
divider and padded section in the bottom are removable, turning the whole
thing into a bigger, unpadded pack. All in all, I thought it was a great
setup. Definitely worth checking out.

----
Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx